Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Pop Culture Challenge: Here Comes Halloween!


The Halloween fun continues with this week's Pop Culture League Challenge topic: Here comes Halloween. It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year! At an early age I learned to never take Halloween or Trick or Treating for granted. Here's what happened to bring me to that realization. This is the story of the year Halloween never came and it all starts with a Double Dragon Tiger Electronics Handheld game!
The year was 1988 and Double Dragon was the hot video game. We all had dreams of leading elite heroic martial artist Billy Lee through the rough streets to save his girl Marian from the Shadow Boss! I owned the NES version and played the arcade cabinet, but when I was introduced to the Tiger Handheld version by a friend in school...my world was rocked!
HOLY CRAP!!! You could play Double Dragon anywhere you wanted? No more cables or having to be planted in front of the TV? Glorious!!!! I had to play it! My friend brought the game to school and let me play during lunch, but as lunch was about to end, he pulled it from my hands! Almost as if I was channeling Billy Lee himself I started a fight and was sent to see the principal.
Looking back this was so dumb to get in a fight over a Tiger game, but this was a year before the Gameboy was released and I had never seen anything like this before. I needed more of my portable game fix and I must say it made me temporarily crazy.
Needless to say my Mom was called and her punishment for me was to stay home on Halloween and give out candy to the kids that came to our house! Worst punishment ever! Not only would I not get any candy, but I had to watch the stupid smiles on the kids faces as they walked away from my house with my candy treats!
That year I was going to be Ray from the Ghostbusters and my brother was Peter. We had the Proton Packs, the tan jumpsuits with iron on Ghostbusters badges and we picked out the biggest pillow cases to collect our goodies. Those dreams of Halloween glory were all blown in one damn lunch period. I can't say that I never did get into another fight over video games, but I will never forget that Halloween and the lesson it taught me. Thanks Mom!
Check out these other Halloween musings from these League members:
Toy Break puts in work to get a nice Halloween Haul
The Toy Box shows off Nightmare series 2 Re-Action figures!
Cassie's Library has nice Halloween video to share with you
Alexis' Universe decorates for the season
D.I. Treasures reviews the toys from Halloween 2016

5 comments:

  1. Great story :) Sad ending :( Those Tiger handheld games were pretty awesome.I remember having the baseball ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best was the Bo Jackson 2 in 1 Baseball/Football flip game from Tiger. Loved that game!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that has to be the worst Halloween experience in history. Your mom is brutal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was the pushover, my Mom let us get away with a lot of things but violence was not one of them!

      Delete
  3. Wow :( I'm sorry that you lost Halloween that year. Those handheld games were awesome though. I had a couple but cannot remember which now lol.

    ReplyDelete